Sunday, May 8, 2011

Non-Destructive Editing

ADJUSTMENT LAYERS
Viola & Julius. 
I wanted to get a good picture of my niece and nephew during our visit this past weekend. Viola is quite a free spirit, and it's hard to get her to hold still, so I was really excited when she did this cute pose with Julius. The photo was taken inside, and the light was bad. So I brightened the exposure, added a little contrast, and gave the photo a vignette in camera raw. Next, I used adjustment layers in photoshop to edit the levels. After editing the levels, I realized that Viola's face looked a ghostly white compared to her brothers (as you can see below), so I used the paint brush (50% opacity) on the layer mask to lessen the effect over her face.  I also used an adjustment layer to do a gradient map, making the photo black and white.

5/7/2011. 7:04 a.m. Helena MT. 
F-Stop: 2.5 | Shutter Speed: 1/160 | Nikon D5000

SMART FILTER

I edited the contrast (using an adjustment layer). I cropped some of the sky off the top, and then I converted the photo for smart filters. Next I used the smart sharpen to sharpen the whole photo. Then I used the paint brush (50% opacity) on the mask to lessen the effect on the mountains. The clouds were so awesome, and they were letting light through right on the mountains. I thought sharpening the image would enhance the effect. It doesn't look that realistic, but I think it's still pretty cool.

SKY! 5/8/2011. 4:48 PM. Middle of nowhere, Montana.
F-Stop: 14 | Shutter Speed: 1/250 | Nikon D5000

2 comments:

  1. I found the SKY! edit very appealing. It is amazing how much of a difference there is between the original and edited picture. I really like how strong the colors are in the edit. You were able to take a photo where the colors were kind of "blah" and really make them pop. The part that I really find neat is where the sun is shining through the clouds, just really looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your edits in "SKY!" are BEAUTIFUL! It is a really visually captivating photo to begin with. The edits make it absolutely breathtaking. I do wish there were some more colors in the field, but overall I think it's a really nice image.

    ReplyDelete