Saturday, May 28, 2011

Bannack [Portraits]

 Brown. 5/25/2011 – 1:43 PM. Bannack, Montana.
F-Stop: 2.2 | Shutter Speed: 1/400 | Nikon D5000
I edited the blacks and contrast in camera raw, and then brought it into Photoshop where I smoothed out his complexion a little bit with the brush tool.
 Leading Lines. 5/25/2011 – 3:23 PM. Bannack, Montana.
F-Stop: 1.8 | Shutter Speed: 1/100 | Nikon D5000
I liked the way that the wood looked on the wall, so I had Julie stand against the wall, having the lines lead to her. I used a large aperture so that the background would be completely blurred, making her the obvious focal point. I edited the levels, and smoothed out her complexion a little bit with the brush tool at 20% opacity and flow.

 Overlook. 5/25/2011 – 4:55 PM. Bannack, Montana.
F-Stop: 5.3 | Shutter Speed: 1/320 | Nikon D5000
All I edited in this photo was the blacks and contrast in camera raw.

 Gun. 5/25/2011 – 5:45 PM. Bannack, MT
F-Stop: 4.5 | Shutter Speed: 1/50 | Nikon D5000 | Light Reflector
For this one, I tried to use an angle to make the photo more interesting, and to fit the whole gun in the frame. I edited the blacks, and contrast in camera raw.

Guitar. 5/25/2011 – 5:52 PM. Bannack, MT
F-Stop: 4 | Shutter Speed: 1/100 | Nikon D5000
This photo was pretty dark to begin with, but I wanted to make it darker. The wall behind him was yellow, and I decided to just make it all black, so that the focus was completely on him. I adjusted the levels to make the background dark, and then masked him out using black paint. I also used the brush to smooth out the skin on his face.

Julie's Bench Pose. 5/25/2011 – 12:54 PM. Bannack, MT
F-Stop: 5.3 | Shutter Speed: 1/320 | Nikon D5000
 For this photo, I edited the levels and contrast, and I also made the background black and white. In the original photo, the background was too bright, and it stole the focus, so I made the subject (julie and the bench) the only things with color. I also used the color burn brush to add a little brown to the bench to make it a more interesting color

 Cowgirl. 5/25/2011 – 1:21 PM. Bannack, MT.
F-Stop: 6.3 | Shutter Speed: 1/1250 | Nikon D5000
For this photo, I was really far away. I got low to the ground and zoomed 165 mm. I edited the blacks and contrast in Camera Raw, and then brought it into Photoshop where I used the clone stamp to take out a piece of her hair that covered her face. 

 Raccoon Hat. 5/25/2011 – 1:21 PM. Bannack, MT.
F-Stop: 2.8 | Shutter Speed: 1/320 | Nikon D5000
For this photo, I edited the blacks in camera raw, and I adjusted the levels in photoshop. I also used a sepia photo filter adjustment layer to change the color a little bit.

Eyes! 5/25/2011 – 4:57 PM. Bannack, MT.
F-Stop: 5.6 | Shutter Speed: 1/320 | Nikon D5000 | Gold Light Reflector
For this photo, the light was awesome, and it was hitting Brandon's eyes just perfectly. I had him turn away from the sun, and we used a gold light reflector to bring nice light to his face [it was also pretty cloudy]. I set it up so that the background would match the color of his eyes. I edited the blacks in camera raw, and then the levels in photoshop, and I smoothed out his skin a little bit with the brush.

2 comments:

  1. Sara you have a great gift for portraits! Yours are my most favorite from all of class, and I'm not just saying that because you took an epic one of my and because we are friends.

    You really have a good eye for it and you use the bocha very well. I have a crazy gift for making interesting pictures but you can make people look as good as they really are. I very rarely see people take photos of others that I just love to look at all. I keep enjoying going back to your page again and again.

    Julie's coloring turned out really well. I like the part black and white and part color. And the guitar picture looks great. NIce job on taking advice it really paid off. I really just loved your photos. Keep up the great work you really do have a gift. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is WOW about all your photos, but your portraits are simply beautiful. I love your eyes and the tight composition. Such a great focal length too. GREAT WORK, as usual, Sara T.!

    ReplyDelete