Saturday, April 30, 2011

Color Study [Natural Brown]

Sweet Plant. Taken on 4/30/2011 at 10:19 a.m. A cabin in the Tetons
F-Stop: 1.8 | Shutter Speed: 1/640 | Nikon D5000
I took this photo outside a cabin that I stayed in for a life skills retreat this past weekend. It is some sort of dead plant. :) I liked the colors and the detail so I decided to use it in my color study. I cropped the photo a little bit, and I edited the levels and contrast.

Brown Field. Taken on 4/28/2011 at 12:56 p.m. Rexburg, ID.
F-Stop: 22 | Shutter Speed: 10/1250 | Nikon D5000
For this photo, I used a small aperture because I wanted everything to be in focus. The sky was really cool, so I took the picture a few times to get the cloud detail. I tried to use rule of thirds when I set up the shot as well, making the ground one third of the photo and the sky two thirds. I edited the levels and saturation in photoshop.


Tree Rings. Taken on 4/30/2011 at 5:38 p.m. Rexburg, ID.
F-Stop: 7.1 | Shutter Speed: 1/100 | Nikon D5000
This ancient tree trunk was really cool, and it matched my natural brown color so I snapped a shot. At first I had a larger aperture, but I put it up to 7.1 so that there was some texture to the ground beneath. I think it adds to the photo. I edited the blacks in camera raw, and then edited the saturation in photoshop to give it a sepia tint.

Beautiful Barn. Taken on 4/30/2011 at 10:26 a.m. Tetons.
F-Stop: 16 | Shutter Speed: 1/125 | Nikon D5000
The wood on this barn was beautiful and full of natural contrast, so I decided to use it for this assignment. I would have liked to take a picture of it head on, but there were people standing all over in front of it, so I tried to make the side angle interesting. I did quite a bit of editing on this photo. I straightened and cropped it, and I also edited the levels to make the sky show more. I used a layer mask and the paint brush to hide the levels adjustment layer.

Railroad! Taken on 4/30/2011 at 5:36 p.m. Rexburg, ID.
F-Stop: 2.5 | Shutter Speed: 1/250 | Nikon D5000
When I brainstormed cool places to find brown the railroad was my first idea. I set of this shot to create cool focus on the rail road nails. I edited the levels in Photoshop.

Chain. Taken on 4/30/2011 at at 5:49 p.m. Rexburg, ID.
F-Stop: 5.6 | Shutter Speed: 1/400 | Nikon D5000
I used my zoom lens for this picture, which helped with the blur. In photoshop I edited the levels and used saturation to give it a sepia color. The chain was brown, but since it was silhouetted it looked black.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah. Good choice of color. I like how you went with something more understated and really made it pop. I know for me it's really easy to notice the bright, bold colors, but with the brown you made something more mellow very attractive. I really like the chain picture. Good job using your aperture settings to blur out the background while keeping a strong focus on the foreground. The railroad looks great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara,
    I LOVE your color study! I especially liked your chain picture, and the picture of the barn brought back lots of memories of student leadership outings. It seems to me that you have a gift for macro shots. You have taken your macro pictures with unique angles and nice composition. Awesome job this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The barn is a really beautiful photo. I really love it.

    ReplyDelete